Sunday, November 22, 2015

One of these things is not like the others!

We start Math Workshop each day with a rousing game of One of these things is not like the others.  For several weeks, I selected a Sesame Street picture for the children to discuss.  Then, I added my own fabric four square type frame.  (I used painter's tape on a scrap of fabric.)  I enjoy using objects that connect with the current Math topic.  We have been focusing on 2D and 3D shapes.  This provides the opportunity for the children to use new Math terms and concepts when making observations.



We practiced for several weeks with the scenarios that I planned.  Then, I put a basket with several items and shapes along side the fabric frame.  The students enjoyed creating problems of their own making in a Math Center.

I have been astounded at the creative connections that the children are making through this warm-up activity.  I see the students developing sharp problem solving skills.




No comments:

Post a Comment